Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Not just a starter

When we first bought our house in July 2011 I had it in my head that this was just our started home. We wouldn't live in a semi forever, and that when we had kids we'd move into something bigger, newer, or fancier. Whenever we made any upgrades (dishwasher, building a deck, etc) my thought was that it would be easier to sell that way. I said something to Jonathan this weekend about how I'd like our next house to have a fire place and he just kind of looked at me. 

We discussed it a little more and (with hubby's help...) I've come to the realization that there probably won't be a "next house." We're in a 30 year mortgage and we have some credit card debt and I have student loans. By the time we deal with the debt we'll be saving for retirement and hopefully putting aside money for our children's education.

It was kind of a tough pill for me to swallow. In my head I'm far from a shallow, materialistic person but every so often I realize that yeah, I can be those things. And I don't like it. It's made me realize too, that there are things I want to do around the house. Things that I had thought we wouldn't bother with since we wouldn't be here long. Nothing major - a few of the rooms need paint updates and the carpet in the living room has to go. I guess it's time to focus on those things instead of all the things I wanted in my next house.

Snagged from Google Streetview.
Lots of snow on the lawn today!

No comments:

Post a Comment