Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Old Friends

To read a book for the first time is to make an acquaintance with a new friend;
to read it for a second time is to meet an old one. ~Chinese Saying
 
 
I finished my re-read of Harry Potter this week. It was the third read through for the first four books, and the second for the last three. I have to say I enjoyed them even more this time around. I picked up on little things I hadn't noticed before and I sobbed uncontrollably during death scenes despite already knowing the outcome.
 
This week I also discovered that my favourite series of all time (Enchanted, Inc by Shanna Swendson) has two new books that I didn't know about. The fourth book came out in 2008 and left me wanting more. Unfortunately, it didn't look like the publisher was interested in continuing the series. But, I was on Goodreads yesterday rating some books and book 5, Much Ado about Magic, and book 6, No Quest for the Wicked, (both released in 2012) popped up in my recommendations. I was beyond excited. I haven't been that excited about a book in AGES. I downloaded both books from Kobo yesterday and finished reading the first one today.
 
I am absolutely horrible at book reviews, and I'm scared to say too much because a) I don't want to give any of the plot away and b) I'm worried my review may turn people away. However, since I think you should all go out and buy the whole series I figured I would include what Goodreads has to say about book one:
 
Katie Chandler had always heard that New York is a weird and wonderful place, but this small-town Texas gal had no idea how weird until she moved there. Everywhere she goes, she sees something worth gawking at and Katie is afraid she’s a little too normal to make a splash in the big city. Working for an ogre of a boss doesn’t help.

Then, seemingly out of the blue, Katie gets a job offer from Magic, Spells, and Illusions, Inc., a company that tricks of the trade to the magic community. For MSI, Katie’s ordinariness is an asset. Lacking any bit of magic, she can easily spot a fake spell, catch hidden clauses in competitor’s contracts, and detect magically disguised intruders. Suddenly, average Katie is very special indeed.

She quickly learns that office politics are even more complicated when your new boss is a real ogre, and you have a crush on the sexy, shy, ultra powerful head of the R&D department, who is so busy fighting an evil competitor threatening to sell black magic on the street that he seems barely to notice Katie. Now it’s up to Katie to pull off the impossible: save the world and–hopefully–live happily ever after.
 
If you're looking for a deep read than this probably isn't for you. If you're looking for a fun, light-hearted, whimsical story with great characters than it is for you. So go get it!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment